Skip to main content

S is for

We had a bit of a scare on Saturday.
Warning: Graphic post ahead
S is for scary.
Since our last failed transfer (in May) I have only had one full menstrual June.

Before IVF, my cycle was like clockwork, every 29 days. I have been having spotting on and off for about the last month.

Saturday afternoon I began experiencing abdominal pain, but only on the left side. It was stronger than normal cramps, and reminded me a bit of the ovarian cysts I have had rupture in the past, but not as bad. I had some leftover Norco from egg retrieval last October, so I took one, and waited for the pain to subside.

Around the same time, I began heavily bleeding. Being 29 years old, I would say I've had my fair share of periods. I've even had 3 post-hormonal injection periods, and none have ever come close to this.

Possible TMI....I filled a tampon AND a pad in an hour. Since starting this process, the doctors have always insisted that if it woman soaks through a pad in an hour, they need to go to the Emergency Room.

I really didn't want to go. I waited another hour, hoping for different results. The bleeding eased up some, so I waited longer. The cramping was not getting any better. At the 3 hour mark, things seemed to have calmed down, and I decided I was fine, aside from the cramping. The heating pad, fetal position and some pressure *seemed* to be helping.

I spent the next few hours trying to convince myself I didn't need to go. It was getting better. I can wait to see a regular doctor. I've been poked and prodded so much already. If I stay distracted, it doesn't hurt as much. My period was overdue. It couldn't be too serious.

Around 10:30pm I decided I was NOT okay. I messaged back and forth with my mom trying to decide what to do.

Shortly after 11, mom drove me to the ER. She helped me into a wheelchair, and I pulled my left let up to my chest, with one hand putting pressure against my left side.

Triage was fast. Getting in to a room was fast. Changing into a gown, not so much. The nurse put down two layers of absorbent pads. I soaked through both.

Chad showed up not long after I was sent back. Blood was drawn, lab tests were run to rule out anemia and any other deficiencies. Next came a pelvic exam. The Dr. seemed concerned by the amount of blood I had lost. He was very apologetic of both the pelvic exam and ultrasound. The ultrasound tech apologized for "pressing so hard", but surprisingly both ovaries cooperated.

I joked that after IVF that stuff doesn't even phase me anymore. Blood draws and ultrasounds every 2 days will do that to you.

After more waiting, and FINALLY some relief from IV pain meds, we got an answer. My lining was 23mm thick! That's nearly double the ideal lining thickness for embryo transfer. For the average women, during their period, your lining is 2-4mm. I was told I would be okay, but that this was going to be a VERY heavy period.

It was a relief, but I felt silly for going in. It reminded me of an episode of "Brace Face" where Alden calls an ambulance the first time Sharon gets her period. Chad, the Dr. and nurse both reassured me that coming in was the right thing to do in this situation. As we walked out to the car, almost pain free, I decided the pain meds alone were worth the trip.

I slept until 11:30 the next day, and played couch potato for the rest of the long weekend. I started out today feeling okay, ready to work, but then ended up in the recliner with a heating pad. It's 11pm as I'm finishing up this post, 3.5 days later, and I am just now starting to feel okay again.

Sometimes, I wish I were a man.


Popular posts from this blog

S is for...

Yesterday was Mother's Day here in the US.
It was hard. Shitty even. S is for shitty. 
You'll get the pun in a few.
Also, this post is not censored for profanity. I let it fly freely.

It started off like any other family gathering day.
Well, after I could rally myself to get out of bed. I'd much prefer to just lay there with Tallie.
Wake up, eat breakfast, down some coffee, start (or finish) whatever dish I was tasked with taking.
This year was dessert - cupcakes for everyone!

...Then I wished a group of fellow IVF'ers (most with newborns or babies on the way) Happy Mother's Day. Of all the people I talked to, these were the people I least expected an insensitive comment from. I thought wrong. Fuck her. I muted the chat.

Chad was off running errands and came home to me in meltdown mode. My instinct was to "frost the fucking cupcakes" and start drinking. At 9am. We didn't have to be anywhere until 2, so I would have been real far gone by that point. Oh…

W is for...

Today I had my first ultrasound in almost a year.
Well, except for the emergency room visit.
W is for Wanda. Everyone's favorite friend.

Dr. B was running a little late. Darn those other women and their eggs. I remember my Nurse Coordinator telling me that ovaries don't know what day it is (about working holidays). Apparently they don't know what time it is either...
So I waited. Half naked. Covered by an over-sized paper napkin. Just me and the ultrasound machine. Wanda. Should I play with her? Roll the giant track ball around a bit?  Would they know? I mean, it's not like they can have cameras in there, right?
I grabbed my phone. I checked Etsy. I messaged my transfer groups and talked about the horrors of cervical clamping that may be in my near future. I waited.  I was bombarded with photos of babies.  I love babies.  I'm still waiting.
I always feel so awkward waiting there. Trying to decide if I should let my feet dangle, or put them in the stirrups. One dow…

NIAW 2019!

It's National Infertility Awareness Week (NIAW) again and this year's theme is #infertilityuncovered#NIAW19
So, let’s get uncomfortable.
Let's talk about the #1in8 couples who are diagnosed with infertility.
Last year I focused on the facts, this year I’m focusing on me.
No sugar-coating here, so buckle up.

In case you missed it, or need a refresher here's part 1:
My first facebook post about our struggle

This week also means it has now been over *4.5 YEARS* since Chad and I started trying to start a family. To some people, that may seem ridiculously long, but to others, that's just the tip of the iceberg. I’ve met people who have waited TEN YEARS before having a successful pregnancy (this is the part where you pray it doesn’t take that long for us).
Don’t pray? That’s fine. Don’t agree with our journey, that’s cool too. We have a great support system, with or without you…but the more, the merrier.

A lot has happened since we said “I do” in 2014.
Death. Cancer. Buy…